[cabfpub] Preballot - Revised Ballot 190

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed May 17 13:46:32 MST 2017

Rolling out a new extension and tying the value to the vetting level isn’t trivial to implement in some of the products, unfortunately.  DV is easy because we verify the domain upon issuance, so those have all been compliant with the 10 methods as of March.  The issue is with the managed PKI (similar to Entrust I believe).  Knowing the method and the validation version for some of the older domains is “hard”, but given sufficient time to comply (or sufficient time before browsers penalize certs with no value or old values), we can do it.

What is the proposed timetable in the ballot for having this extension implemented?  I’m assuming CAs can issue without this extension and those would be treated like certificates based on outdated validation methods.

Do you have a timetable and plan for how Google would use this data to degrade the UI or block access?