[cabfpub] C=GR, C=UK exceptions in BRs

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Tue Mar 21 14:20:55 UTC 2017

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 5:59 AM, Dimitris Zacharopoulos <jimmy at it.auth.gr> wrote:
>
> On 20/3/2017 11:05 πμ, Geoff Keating wrote:
>>
>> I also do not see where the EU has actually approved, requested, suggested, or even hinted at the use of this value in certificates.  A specific reference would be needed.
>
> Looking the other way won't change the fact that these well-defined exceptions have been properly documented in the 1501/2015 decision. I have not read the minutes of the corresponding EU proceedings but it is strange you suggesting they were not properly requested, suggested and approved through the official EU channels.

I did not say that.  I have no opinion on that.  What I was trying to say is that the decision you quoted, which I have read, does not seem to document these ‘well-defined exceptions’ in the context of the countryName field in a certificate.

>> Likewise Greece; but Greece is literally the last country in the world that I can imagine saying that an international body should be ignored in favor of a country's preferred nomenclature, because of their dispute over Macedonia.
>
> This is clearly a political statement that is out of the Forum's usual line of arguments (at least for the years I participate). I may have a personal opinion on political issues (about "FYROM") but refrain from making political statements in a technically oriented standards group like the CA/B Forum. Having said that, I will not judge right or wrong or question the reasoning behind official EU, Greek, US laws. I think this is also in the spirit of 9.16.3 where "local law" supersedes the BRs in case of a conflict between the two. I suggest we avoid making similar political statements.

I did not intend to make a political statement; and to be very clear, I am not expressing any opinion on the dispute other than that it exists.  I seem to have hit a sensitive topic, which was not my intention, and I apologise for any bad feelings that may have resulted.

I do not think we can decide on the naming or coding of countries without it becoming political, and I do not think we can have a political discussion without causing bad feelings.  So I think the CABforum should not become involved, and leave the topic to the ISO.