[cabfpub] Revised domain validation ballot

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Mar 22 09:55:56 MST 2017

Forwarding this along if only because it suggests removing something rather
than adding it.

The current BRs define "Authorized Port" as:

One of the following ports: 80 (http), 443 (http), 115 (sftp), 25
(smtp), 22 (ssh).

Port 115 appears to be on this list in error, because this port number
was assigned to an Internet protocol "Simple File Transfer Protocol"
that never saw widespread use, it is not the correct port for the SFTP
(SSH File Transfer Protocol) SSH subsystem of the SSH protocol which,
like SSH itself, uses well-known port 22.

Unless the committee which came up with these recommendations has a
separate rationale for listing port 115 it seems as though the ballot
to add domain validation methods is a good place to make this small
change, removing the text "115 (sftp)," from this definition.

I don't intend this proposal to have any effect operationally, it's
simply a suggestion to ensure the BR text matches the reality on the
ground more closely. If it proves controversial of course it should not
be included in Jeremy's ballot.