[cabfpub] Certificate lifetimes: end state or trajectory?

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Mar 10 16:15:55 MST 2017

So now that we've had our lovely chat about revocation, can we go back to
the substance of the question:

Voting has started on
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2017-March/009912.html

As Gerv originally stated:

> It would be useful if those members could say whether 13 months would
> still be unacceptably short if the date for introduction of the 13 month
> requirement were something like 1st March 2019, 2 years from now.
> If we can get consensus that this reduction is OK with a long enough
> lead time, that might lead us to a ballot where the max. lifetime was
> reduced to 27 months on 1st March 2018, and 13 months on 1st March 2019,
> meaning that by 1st May 2020, all unexpired certificates would be of
> lifetime 13 months or fewer.
> If members feel that even with 2 years lead time, this reduction is
> still unacceptable, we should pass ballot 193 or something like it,
> thereby indicating to the world that we have no plans for further
> reductions in a CAB Forum context.

Let's set aside the debate of revocation, and focus on the world we have,
today, and what members are expecting here.