[cabfpub] Results on Ballot 187 - Make CAA Checking Mandatory

Phillip Hallam-Baker philliph at comodo.com
Thu Mar 9 07:08:49 MST 2017

Lets hold off on a followup ballot until after I can talk to the IETF Security ADs in Chicago at the end of the month.

I would like us to decide exactly what handling we want for CNAME and DNAME and ensure the spec is completely clear and unambiguous.

As to what the handling should be, I think this is an area where we need the CDNs to help us. We are never going to get a perfect approach because there is an inherent loss of information in the use of CNAME. We don’t know why they are being used.

CNAME does have the unfortunate requirement that the DNS node be otherwise empty which limits flexibility here. We could have a rule that when processing CNAME you process the initial domain path first before following the CNAME should it exist.