[cabfpub] Ballot 203: Formation of Network Security Working Group (v2)
wthayer at godaddy.com
Tue Jun 13 16:46:01 UTC 2017
GoDaddy votes Yes.
From: Public <public-bounces at cabforum.org> on behalf of Gervase Markham via Public <public at cabforum.org>
Reply-To: CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <public at cabforum.org>
Date: Monday, June 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM
To: CABFPub <public at cabforum.org>
Cc: Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>
Subject: [cabfpub] Ballot 203: Formation of Network Security Working Group (v2)
[This replaces the earlier ballot text of the same title; timeline dates are unchanged.]
Ballot 203: Formation of Network Security Working Group (v2)
Purpose of Ballot: To form a Network Security Working Group to re-evaluate the CAB Forum's Network Security Guidelines.
The following motion has been proposed by Gervase Markham of Mozilla and endorsed by Jeremy Rowley of DigiCert and Moudrick Dadashov of SSC:
-- MOTION BEGINS --
In accordance with Section 5.3 of the CA/B Forum Bylaws, the chartering of a new Working Group requires a ballot. This ballot charters the Network Security Working Group.
The CAB Forum's Network Security Guidelines were adopted in August 2012 but have not been updated since. Significant doubts have been raised as to their fitness for purpose in 2017. Therefore, the Working Group’s charter will be as follows:
1. Consider options for revising, replacing or scrapping the Network Security Guidelines.
1. A report with one or more proposals for the future of the Network Security Guidelines.
2. For proposals involving replacement, details of the availability and applicability of the proposed alternative, and what modifications if any would be needed to it in order to make it suitable for use.
3. For proposals involving revision, details of the revisions that are deemed necessary and how the document will be kept current in the future.
4. For proposals involving scrapping, an explanation of why this is preferable to either of the other two options.
5. If there are multiple proposals, optionally a recommendation as to which one to pursue and an associated timeline.
6. A form of ballot or ballots to implement any recommendations.
The Working Group shall expire once the deliverables have been completed, or on 2018-06-19, whichever happens first.
The expiry date given above shall be automatically postponed by 1 year on 2018-05-19 ("postponement date") and each anniversary of the postponement date thereafter unless three or more members separately or jointly request on the Public Mail List, within one month prior to a particular postponement date, that expiry of this Working Group not be postponed in that instance.
-- MOTION ENDS --
The procedure for approval of this ballot is as follows:
Start time (22:00 UTC)
End time (22:00 UTC)
Discussion (7 to 14 days)
Vote for approval (7 days)
Votes must be cast by posting an on-list reply to this thread on the Public list. A vote in favor of the motion must indicate a clear 'yes' in the response. A vote against must indicate a clear 'no' in the response. A vote to abstain must indicate a clear 'abstain' in the response. Unclear responses will not be counted. The latest vote received from any representative of a voting member before the close of the voting period will be counted. Voting members are listed here: https://cabforum.org/members/
In order for the motion to be adopted, two thirds or more of the votes cast by members in the CA category and greater than 50% of the votes cast by members in the browser category must be in favor. Quorum is shown on CA/Browser Forum wiki. Under Bylaw 2.2(g), at least the required quorum number must participate in the ballot for the ballot to be valid, either by voting in favor, voting against, or abstaining.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Public