[cabfpub] Updating DTP definition

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Sat Jun 24 20:10:18 MST 2017

Kirk,

Would you agree that your proposed wording introduces the issue that is
avoided by the current wording, which is that a CA can easily misread this
to suggest that, say, if the DTP is covered under the "WebTrust for CAs"
audit, it need not necessarily be covered under the "WebTrust for CAs - SSL
Baseline w/ Net Sec" - even though the activities of the DTP mean it should?

I understand your goal with the plurality, but the problem is that it
introduces an ambiguity as to the necessity of the relevant audits.
Hopefully you can see why more specificity helps avoid this otherwise
unnecessary ambiguity (that being covered under 'an' audit is sufficient).

Similarly, consider the inverse - if there is a DTP who performs, say,
datacenter activities, do you believe there are principles and criteria
captured in the "WebTrust for CAs - SSL Baseline w/ NetSec" that would be
relevant/necessary for audit? Or would you agree that, depending on the
scope and role of the datacenter provider, it may be that the only criteria
and controls are captured within the "WebTrust for CAs" criteria.

Obviously, I use a bias towards WebTrust here, if only because the split is
more obvious and apparent than the ETSI equivalents, and hopefully, it's
one you're more familiar with, thus making it easier to see the problems
with the proposed wording change.