[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Pre-ballot for Ballot 190

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Sun Jun 18 01:42:29 MST 2017

Kirk

The ISO/DIS 21188 is not part of the normative definition. It sounds like
the concern is that the 'technical language' being used here is the
standard form of unambiguously representing a character (by referring to
its Unicode code point). Is that correct?

If so, this should normally be obvious to a reader of appropriate technical
specifications, since it's a convention used throughout the IETF, the W3C,
ISO documents, etc.

More generally, the language proposed by Peter was illustrative to other
examples of specifications that use this form, but not normative ("in
accordance with"). That is, one could easily substitute your proposed "in
accordance with" with a number of other equivalent specifications, without
changing the semantic or normative meaning.

For this reason, it would be much clearer overall, even if it may be an
unfamiliar approach to you, to adopt Peter's text as written. That would
reduce confusion that might otherwise be introduced by your proposed edit
(particularly, ambiguity as to what it means by "in accordance with" and
why ISO/DIS 21188 is referenced in only this section)