[cabfpub] Curves Ed25519 may appear as NIST recommendations

Phillip Hallam-Baker philliph at comodo.com
Thu Jul 20 09:56:49 UTC 2017

FYI: From the IETF meeting

In DCRUP today a NIST employee withdrew a proposal to add the P256 curve to DKIM on the grounds that it is ‘likely’ that the Ed25519 (and possibly Ed448) signatures will be approved for at least some purposes in a FIPS.

There are many ways that this could not happen. Not least the lack of a director of NIST. But if it does, it would be a positive outcome. I really don’t much care which ECC curves we use so long as we all decide to use the same curves everywhere.