[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Problems with Ballot 202

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Mon Jul 17 18:47:50 MST 2017

Kirk,

The only new definitions in ballot 202 are “Domain Label” and “Wildcard Domain Name”.

“Domain Label” was defined so we could define the characters we wanted to allow underscores in a label.

“Wildcard Domain Name” was defined to help make it very clear that these are allowed.  One of the concerns that has been heard multiple times is that it is not clear if “Fully-Qualified Domain Name” includes names with wildcards.  This ballot resolves this ambiguity by clearly stating that “Domain Name” means both wildcard and fully-qualified domain names.

Geoff and my responses crossed.  Geoff suggested:
Domain Label: A label of a domain name, as defined in RFC 1034.
Domain Name: A string which is a ‘domain name’ as defined in RFC 1034 with labels separated by dots, or a Wildcard Domain Name.
Domain Namespace (of a domain): All domains which are subdomains of the referenced domain, as described in RFC 1034.
Fully Qualified Domain Name: A domain name interpreted relative to the root.  The Fully Qualified Domain Names used in this document do not end with a period.
Wildcard Domain Name: The string ‘*.’ followed by a ‘domain name’ with labels separated by dots as defined in RFC 1034.

I would suggest the following as slight updates, in order to support Internationalized Domain Names:

Domain Label: A label of a domain name, as defined in RFC 5890 section 2.2; for example, the domain name "www.example.com" is composed of three labels: "www", "example", and "com".
Domain Name: A string which is a ‘domain name’, as defined in RFC 5890 section 2.2, with labels separated by dots, or a Wildcard Domain Name.  For example “www.example.com” and “*.example.net” are domain names.
Wildcard Domain Name: The string ‘*.’ followed by a ‘domain name’ with labels separated by dots, as defined in RFC 5890 section 2.2

I suggest we hold any updates for Fully Qualified Domain Name and Domain Namespace for ballot 190 and limit the changes to Authorization Domain Name and Base Domain Name in this ballot to only remove “Fully Qualified”.

Do you feel you could support this ballot if it had these definitions instead?

Thanks,
Peter