[cabfpub] Ballot 182/190 revision

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Mon Jul 17 17:27:18 MST 2017

Peter, I just started going through your draft, and it appears you did not work from the Ballot 190 draft v6 proposed by Entrust, Buypass, and GlobalSign, but started a new ballot from scratch.  Is that correct?

For example, Ballot 190 as we proposed it included edits to BR 4.2.1 on data and prior validation reuse to respond to questions in the Forum and clarify the rules - but these changes are not included in your attached draft - was this inadvertent?

When we pulled Ballot 190 v6 from the discussion period, it was to give you time to work on the critical definitions such as Authorized Domain Name so we could eliminate the Notes at the end of each validation method.  We certainly did not expect you to completely rewrite the whole ballot, and many things you have suggested won't be acceptable to the proposer and endorsers.  For example, you have left in Method 11 "any other method" but with a number of new limitations (including a limitation date for use of the method of March 1, 2017, before anyone knew such a limitation would be imposed - in general, after the fact restrictions are not fair and not a good idea) - we have already discussed this issue extensively, including on the last teleconference call where Mozilla stated its policy of allowing previous validation data and validations to be reused, so this Method 11 proposal is just not acceptable.

At this point, your proposed rewrite of Ballot 190 isn't going to work, but we will review to see if there are some suggestions in the ballot that we can include in a new Ballot 190 v7.  Also, once we complete an update of the critical definitions (perhaps in Ballot 202, perhaps moved back to Ballot 190), we can try to finish up Ballot 190 and get it to a vote.