[cabfpub] Revocation ballot

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Sat Jul 15 20:57:07 MST 2017

While perhaps not true in all cases, I think key compromise situations should be handled similar to all other software security vulnerabilities. Because they are vulnerabilities, we should react like other reported issues.  We should learn from the work and lessons of other responsible disclosure practices (Project Zero is a great example). I doubt you're in the camp that claims all vulnerabilities should be promptly disclosed without a correction period, so I think we can find some common ground on how certificate vulnerability and key compromise reporting should happen. The remediation window is a vital part of responsible disclosure; it's not merely a nice gesture, but represents the opportunity to work with information security and software development colleagues to remediate vulnerabilities in a way that minimally impacts users (i.e. attempts to reduce the potential harm that could be caused by the vulnerability to the greatest extent possible, while balancing the time constraints caused by an awareness that if one responsible party discovered the issue, it's only a matter of time before another, potentially less responsible, party does likewise).

Of course, waiting on disclosure or revocation doesn't remove the vulnerability. However, using responsible disclosure does give developers and IT teams time to properly assess the scope of the issue, update their systems, and deploy fixes before the knowledge is wide-spread. I agree with prompt revocation, but what constitutes "timely and promptly" is subjective and depends heavily on context and severity.  For non-emergency situations (a vulnerability or compromise is discovered, but no evidence is found of active exploitation and the discovery occurred in such a way that repeat discovery is unlikely to be imminent), 24 hours seems too short to advise on a restructuring, deploy new certificates, and update systems. For emergency situations (a vulnerability is discovered to be undergoing active exploitation or is publicly available to an extend that re-discovery and exploitation is inevitable), 24 hours is probably too long.  My proposal is we bifurcate the timelines based on the reason for revocation and impact.  A company that changes address and fails to update their certificate within 24 hours is in a different risk category than someone who publishes the key pair used on their shopping site to Github.  I think we're in violent agreement that automation is essential within the industry, and that is a key recommendation we always make. Unfortunately, automation isn't available on every device, nor does every entity deploying digital certificates automate for all situations. Generally, if the device operator is disclosing their private key on a public repository like Github, they likely did not plan on addressing a revocation massively affecting their devices.

Every company has "perverse" incentives to help their customers.  Google has its own perverse incentives to keep users on its search engine and browser. Somehow, despite these perverse incentives, we all seem to work towards Internet security in our own fashion. Ours is helping entities (customers and non-customers alike) configure PKI related systems, deploy certificates, and remediate messes, e.g. those caused by reusing private keys on hardware devices sent to all of their users.

For example, let's say we have a popular program that has 10 million downloads. Unfortunately, they deployed the same private key in every download (note that this was not our recommendation; at this point, they haven't contacted us for recommendations on best practices for key management and protection, etc.). We receive notice at 1 am on a Saturday. Although we maintain a constantly monitored certificate problem reporting process, the supplier does not. Although we immediately spam every email we have, including their emergency numbers, there's no way they can get someone technical on the phone prior to 1 am Sunday.  The net effect is that on Sunday at 1 am, each user is potentially blocked from their app. That doesn't help relying parties at all.  Instead, if we received responsible disclosure of the issue, but could wait for a week before revoking, the company could push out an emergency update deploying unique certificates to each device (or re-work how their app communicates internally so that local private keys aren't needed at all; yes, that's what we'd recommend in plenty of cases because we actually do care about what’s best for users) eliminating the shut down. Luckily for us, so far, the revocations have not had quite that widespread of detrimental effects.

Seems like there should be a balance we can strike between the need for prompt revocation and the desire not to impact relying parties while still encouraging certificate use.  I proposed two weeks based on the reason for revocation, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions. Maybe it's simply not possible to treat key compromise similarly to other vulnerability disclosures, but I'd like to at least explore the possibility before giving up on it.