[cabfpub] Revocation ballot

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Thu Jul 13 16:13:45 MST 2017

Why tell the CA that their Subscriber was compromised, rather than the
Subscriber themselves? Alternatively, if the Subscriber _is_ compromised, then
it's absolutely the correct incentive for the researcher to report this
directly to the CA, so that Relying Parties are not mislead, regardless of
what steps the Subscriber steps.

[JR] We often get involved directly with our customers on the certificate
management and deployment-side. Thinking of the CA as only the certificate
manufacture undervalues the services some CAs provide. Forcing CAs out of the
advisory role and solely into the issuance role eliminates a lot of the value
provided. Therefore, we would like to get involved early in the process with
both the researchers and the Subscribers to advise on all PKI issues.
Although subscribers have an obligation under the agreement to report
certificate issues, we know this doesn't always happen. Take Heartbleed for
example. We received minimal prior notification of the event. However, when
the event was announced, we released a tool that detected certificate
impacted.  With advanced notice, we can assist customers in navigating both
industry and internal events.

> For non-public issues, I'd rather work with the customers earlier than wait
> to be brought in until 24 hours before the revocation occurs.

Could you explain or provide an example of this? As the CA - a service
provider role - naturally being brought in the end of a customer-impacting
issue is the right way to handle it.
[JR] There's a consulting role involved as well as a certificate issuance
role. Many of our customers approach us with questions on the use of PKI and
best practices.  Heartbleed is an example. We'd like to remain a consultant in
the framework.  Another consideration is the CA is easy for a researcher to
contact and report issues to. We have dedicated emails and personnel who
handle these issues.  For example, Hanno emailed me directly about compromised
private keys. I have no problem with this. To my knowledge, he did not reach
out to the subscribers themselves. I also have no problem with this.  As the
CA, we generally are the ones helping our customers with the certificate
needs, including helping them through the revocation process.

> Could we balance the issue to say within 24 hours of public disclosure or
> within two weeks of receiving a certificate problem report where the CA
> confirms that one of the reasons under Section 4?

When we past discussed this, my understanding of the conclusion was that the
CA would be afforded up to two weeks to investigate the problem report (with
the requirement additional details about why the delay occurred being made
public), but that upon determining it met one of the revocation reasons, was
obligated to make the timely revocation under 4.9.1.1/4.9.1.2.
[JR] What if the certificate was deployed to 1000+ servers? If the private key
is not disclosed, but there is a need to revoke, giving them time to manage
the revocation minimizes the impact on relying parties. I generally don't need
two weeks to investigate the problem. What I need is two weeks to migrate the
customer to a better practice, which is then followed by revocation.

If I understand your proposal, it would be that if a CA determines the
Subscriber (or Subordinate CA) meets the requirements of 4.9.1.1, they could
still delay for up to two weeks before revoking, is that correct?
[JR] Sort of - I propose 4.9.1.1(1) and 4.9.1.1(2) (and corresponding sections
under 4.9.2.2) require revocation within 24 hours. In both cases, the customer
requested revocation.  That really should be immediate. What I'm proposing is
the CA could delay two weeks for things like a subscriber agreement breach or
if certificate information changes (such as a change in address).

How does that benefit Relying Parties?
[JR] It prevents critical systems from being shut off before the server
operator can migrate to a new certificate.  It's an attempt to balance risk of
misuses (a non-public event is less risky) with the desire to keep all
infrastructure secured. The result of revocation is usually a move to no
encryption rather than some new encryption - especially if revocation was for
something like a change in address.

Jeremy