[cabfpub] WebTrust for CA - New Criteria for CABF's Consideration

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Tue Jul 11 00:57:35 MST 2017

Hi Jeff,

Since I am not a native English speaker, I will try to offer my
perspective on some of the terms used in this document so here is my 2
cents. "CA Key Transportation" was the section I had some difficulty
reading but the explanatory guidance is very helpful. It is a real
challenge for both Auditors and CAs to meaningfully assess the security
risks between cases where the CA private key is backed up "using
approved methods from the hardware vendor" and CA's methods that perform
the same "approved methods" (key wrapping, further splitting and so on).
In other words, a CA's methods might be above and beyond the vendor
specific methods, which is a good thing.

Here are some cases that might be considered for the "CA Key
Transportation":

 1. Relocation of an HSM that already contains the CA private keys. In
    this scenario, CA private keys are always in a de-activated state
    and require activation material, as explained in 4.9. The
    description of 4.9 "CA Key Transportation" seems to cover all
    critical steps. I would prefer the use of the term "relocation" for
    this particular scenario.
 2. Relocation of an HSM that doesn't contain the CA private keys (keys
    are deleted prior to transportation). This scenario is probably
    covered under some other criteria for secure relocation of equipment.
 3. Transportation of an HSM vendor-specific encrypted CA private key
    backup. In this scenario, this vendor-specific encrypted backup can
    be restored in an HSM of the same vendor, using the backup file and
    the backup key (usually kept separately). I don't know if there is a
    specific Webtrust terminology that describe this
    "encryption/decryption backup key", it might be covered under the
    "activation material" which refers to "passwords, PINs and/or tokens
    (i.e. m of n tokens) needed to access and/or activate the CA key on
    the secure cryptographic module", but in reality you cannot
    activate/access the CA private key if you only have the decryption
    "backup key". IMHO, this type of "transportation" is not fully
    covered under the 4.9 "CA Key Transportation" section. If you
    consider further splitting of the activation material using
    transforms like "all-or-nothing
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-or-nothing_transform>", then you
    might want to allow cases where you don't need multi-person control
    to constantly monitor these fragments during transit. Of course,
    these fragments are never transferred altogether, they should be
    considered "CA private key material" that will require "activation
    material" to be usable again.

Section 4.10 "CA Key Migration" seems to cover all critical steps.

Hope this helps.
Dimitris.