[cabfpub] Updated draft of Ballot 183 (ballot process)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 16 10:03:58 MST 2017

On 13/01/17 22:22, Virginia Fournier wrote:
> * In 2.2 f), you have changed "adopted" to "approved". Given that the
> notion of "approval" has a special meaning in the IPR Policy, and AIUI
> we want it to mean the point _after_ the IPR review finishes (assuming
> no disclosures), could this change cause confusion?
>
> VMF:  ok, I changed it back.

Only in one place; there is a second place where it needs reverting, in
the third line.

> * The new part 3) of the ballot, titled "Effect of Ballot" is a good
> idea, but would it not make more sense to change this so instead of a
> property of the ballot, it was a modification to the Bylaws? In other
> words, make the ballot update an appropriate section of the Bylaws to
> say: "Nothing in these Bylaws is intended to supercede or replace
> anything in the IPR Policy. In the event of a conflict between these
> Bylaws and the IPR Policy, the IPR Policy shall govern.”
>
> VMF:  No, this provision applies to the Ballot/amendment.

Let me change my question here, then. :-)

Would it be generally a good idea, for the avoidance of doubt, to have
the Bylaws say:

"Nothing in these Bylaws is intended to supercede or replace anything in
the IPR Policy. In the event of a conflict between these Bylaws and the
IPR Policy, the IPR Policy shall govern."

If it would be a good idea for the Bylaws to say this, should we add
that to this ballot?

Whatever you decide about the wisdom of doing that, with the
first-mentioned tweak above I am happy to endorse this ballot, if that
would be helpful.