[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion (3)

Steve Medin Steve_Medin at symantec.com
Fri Jan 13 15:32:45 MST 2017

Pending questions handled by an explanatory new angle. Since EV Certificate Approvers and their non-EV counterparts are implemented in Enterprise RA accounts as 2FA-credentialed issuance portal administrators with access to a pre-vetted collection of domains, would you think that if we discover a CAA record in conflict of a pre-vetted domain, we should then immediately revoke the portal access certificate and second factor of every Certificate Approver so authorized by the Contract Signer?

So an organization can hold a contract with a CA for a managed service and have the rights, within aforementioned technical constraints, to produce certificates, but if someone who happens to have access to DNS drops in an I choose you, Pikachu for another CA, that whole contractual relationship, portal account, and course of doing business for a decade plus is all swept to the recycle bin?

So even though the certificate request came in to the same portal as always, and a credentialed Certificate Approver among a team of 30 reviewing certificate requests in an enterprise RA account globally reviewed it, who has been a member of that team for some time, the CAA change takes precedence? The DNS admin (or the bind 0day) rules over them all?

If so, then I suggest specific wording that the amendment takes precedence over the granted rights to Certificate Approvers in EV 11.8.4 and over the contemplation of multiple certificates issued as a result of a single request in BR 4.1.2. For the latter, this tightly correlates with the BR data reuse provisions which are muted by precedence of the amendment and CAA changes.

I suggest consensus about requirements to terminate such relationships, as they dominate the landscape and highly intersect with the consumer of CAA.