[cabfpub] CA/Browser Forum mailing list clarification

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Mon Jan 9 07:25:03 UTC 2017

It seems there is some confusion about the various mailing lists for the CA/Browser Forum as a whole (not for Working Groups).  I’ve tried to summarize the differences below, but would appreciate any corrections or clarifications, as I’m not 100% clear myself.

We have three Forum mailing lists.  They are described below.  I think (but am not sure) that all Forum members are automatically subscribed to all three of these lists.

Member Mail List
Email address: management at cabfourm.org <mailto:management at cabfourm.org>
Who can post messages to the list? Any member or associate member
Who receives messages posted to the list? All members and associate members; no one else
Who can read the archives? All members and associate members; no one else
Who can get a list of subscribers? Any member or associate member; no one else

Public Mail List
Email address: public at cabforum.org <mailto:public at cabforum.org>
Who can post messages to the list? Any member, associate member, or interested party
Who receives messages posted to the list? Anyone subscribed (which includes all members and associate members)
- Anyone can subscribe, regardless of their Forum status
Who can read the archives? Anyone, including web crawler bots
Who can get a list of subscribers? TBD (Only

Questions Mail List
Email address: questions at cabforum.org <mailto:questions at cabforum.org>
Who can post messages to the list? Anyone
Who receives messages posted to the list? All members and associate members; no one else
Who can read the archives? All members and associate members; no one else
Who can get a list of subscribers? Any member or associate member; no one else

Note that there is no list that allows anyone to post and anyone to receive the messages/see the archive.

Comparing the questions and member mail list memberships, it looks like they are not 100% overlap, but this appears to be by accident rather than on purpose.

Thanks,
Peter