[cabfpub] Public Digest, Vol 57, Issue 19

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Jan 4 10:49:58 MST 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Virginia Fournier <vfournier at apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> We all know we disagree on the current documents, which is, in part, why
> we are working on an updated process.
>
> Would you please clarify what your specific objective is?  Are you looking
> for an interpretation that the voting period on Ballot 182 ends on Jan
> 7th?  Please note that a PAG can also be convened for an adopted guideline
> pursuant to Section 7.2 of the IPR Policy - so this could be done after the
> voting period ends.  Also, all Forum members would be on notice of the
> Exclusion Notices that were submitted during the Review Period.  Is this
> what you’re looking for?

Given the nature of these disagreements, it does seem to highlight how
unwise it was for Ballots 180 - 182 to have been submitted without
resolving these issues, and how terribly unwise it would be to submit any
new ballots absent these resolutions.

I am looking for the Forum - and the Chair - to follow its Bylaws and IPR
policy. I believe that requires voting to start, and voting to end on
January 7th.

If anyone disagrees with that interpretation, I'm asking them to explain
why they disagree, using our Bylaws and IPR Policy to support that. This
will ensure that as we work on an updated process, we can make reasonable
efforts to prevent future disagreements by making the process more
explicit, where appropriate and necessary.