[cabfpub] Proposed Ballot 183 - Allowing 822 Names and (limited) otherNames

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue Jan 3 14:13:02 MST 2017

I suppose I could put in exactly what the WFA requires for validation. Would including this language be sufficient?

The id-wfa-hotspot-friendlyName MUST contain exactly 1 language code and Friendly Name for an Operator. In the case where a Friendly Name is to be included in more than one human language, there shall be as many id-wfa-hotspot-Name objects as there are human languages included. The payload of the id-wfa-hotspot-friendlyName is the concatenation of the Language Code and Friendly Name. The Language Code is a 3-octet ISO-14962-1997 encoded string field that defines the language used in the Operator Name field. The Language Code field value is a two or three character language code selected from ISO-639 [13]. A two character language code value has 0 (“null” in ISO-14962-1997) appended to make it 3 octets in length. The Friendly Name is a variable length UTF-8 formatted field containing the operator’s name. The maximum length of this field is 252 octets. UTF-8 format is defined in [8]. For example, for two human languages the following Friendly Names would be included as two separate otherName objects in the SubjectAltName: "engWi-Fi Alliance" and "fraWi-Fi Alliance". Prior to including a Friendly Name the CA MUST

o Authenticate the contacts listed in the customer profile

o Verify the information listed in the certificate application for accuracy and validity for the given organization

o Conduct a trademark search of the Friendly Name in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and equivalent international trademark office such as the WIPO ROMARIN.

This eliminates any reliance on the WFA specification.