[cabfpub] SHA-1 Collision Found

philliph at comodo.com philliph at comodo.com
Fri Feb 24 21:44:27 UTC 2017

It seems I mis-spoke on EdDSA. Curve448x uses SHAKE-256 as the internal compression function and that is a part of SHA-3. Curve25519 uses SHA-2. I thought I had lost that battle.

Now I have not read the specs deeply enough to work out if that means SHA-3 is a requirement. But just as you effectively get Blake2 for free with Cha-Cha, it means SHA-3 is going to be pulled along by Curve-X.

There are actually important security reasons to insist on only using one hash function with a particular DSA key which is why DSA has always mandated use of a particular hash function rather than the mix-n-match approach of RSA.

Also there is the issue of whether to pre-hash or not. Given that certs (and OCSP tokens) are small not pre-hashing looked like the way to go.