[cabfpub] SHA-1 Collision Found

Adam Langley agl at google.com
Fri Feb 24 19:32:25 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Rob Stradling via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> My current wishlist:
>
> Various EdDSA algorithms.  See RFC8032 and https://datatracker.ietf.org/d
> oc/draft-ietf-curdle-pkix/
>
> BLAKE2.  See RFC7693.  (No signature algorithm OIDs exist yet, AFAICT).

I too have sympathies towards BLAKE2 since I wanted BLAKE to win. However,
given that the winner was Keccak, and its performance doesn't matter in the
context of certificate signatures (well, perhaps for CRLs), I suspect that
we should probably just stick with SHA-3 here. It's certainly very
different from SHA-2 and diversity is a goal.

Cheers

AGL