[cabfpub] Durations

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Mon Feb 6 00:05:10 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
wrote:

> I don’t understand what problem this proposal is intended to address.  If
> a CA sticks with “13 months” it should always end up with fewer than 398
> days.

Yes, that's exactly why the proposal exists.

> If one goal of the proposal is to try to get to a more uniform
> interpretation of what 13 (or 39) months is, we can add a rule to the BRs
> like the following:
>

> If any provision in these requirements permits or requires a time period
> stated in months, CAs shall calculate the time period as follows:
>
> (a) The hour, minute, and second of the end of the time period shall be
> the same as for the start of the time period.
>
> (b) The month of the end of the time period shall be the specified number
> of months ahead of the month of the start of the time period.
>
> (c) The date of the end of the time period shall be the same date as the
> start of the time period, unless there is no equivalent date for the month
> at the end of the time period.  In that event, the CA shall choose the
> closest available date that exists for the month at the end of the time
> period.
>

> *Examples: 13 Month Period (Start of Period – End of Period)*
>

> 2016-04-16 12:00:01 - 2017-05-16 12:00:01
>
> 2016-03-31 12:35:16 - 2016-04-30 12:35:16
>
> 2015-01-31 04-06-55 - 2015-02-29 04-06-55
>
> 2016-01-31 04-06-55 - 2017-02-28 04-06-55
>

> Something like that should bring uniformity among all CAs.

Besides the impact to removing timestamps as a potential source of entropy,
encoding that as logic -- on the CA side as an issuance check, or the
client side as an enforcement check -- is going to be more complicated than
a flat maximum of days. It will be more subject to error and arguments.

> Look, I’m not passionate about this, but I don’t understand where the
> proposal is coming from.  Has anyone been asking for validity periods or
> revetting periods to be set in number of days rather than months?

Peter is, and he described the conversation that sparked that request:

It actually started when I got complaints that the calculation I used in
cablint was wrong.  The rule in cablint is that April 18, 2017 to April 19,
2018 is longer than 12 months.  But people complained for 27 or 39 months
that I should count from the end of the month — e.g. April 30, 2016 to July
31, 2019 should be 39 months.

It makes sense that Peter would be the first to raise this specifically,
since he maintains cablint (a tool that automatically checks certificates
for various BR violations). Cablint has only in the last year or so started
playing a prominent role in the CA ecosystem, by virtue of integration into
crt.sh (and into other processes, such as the SHA-1 exception process).

The proposal to use days for the formal requirement, instead of a
human-friendly requirement, is to make measurements by tools like cablint
more uniform and less prone to bugs or arguments. It doesn't constrain CAs
from using more human-friendly approaches to issuance dates.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>