[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Richard Barnes rbarnes at mozilla.com
Fri Feb 3 19:40:33 UTC 2017

Is there anyone on the relying party side of the universe that believes
revocation works?  Even among browsers that send OCSP requests, none of
them hard-fail if it doesn't work, because in practice, OCSP servers are so
awful that HTTPS would become unusable.  So OCSP is still, as AGL says, a
seat belt that breaks when you crash.  Seems fair to call that broken.

Even if OCSP were magically to become usable, though, (or some replacement
for it) this ballot would still be necessary for all the other reasons that
have been discussed here.