[cabfpub] Ballot 187 - Make CAA Checking Mandatory

philliph at comodo.com philliph at comodo.com
Fri Feb 24 18:49:08 MST 2017

On the CAA recursive part, I am trying to track down why there is an existing errata that makes a normative change with held for update status.

The issue here is not in the PKIX part, it is what a CNAME/DNAME record means. Different people in the DNS community took different positions. We ended up concluding that the recursive interpretation was the appropriate one, i.e. least likely to cause mistakes.

The reasoning behind this was that in most cases a CNAME from ‘example.net’ to ‘example.com’ is typically used for internal redirects mapping one service name onto another. An outsourcing relationship, would typically be realized using MX or SRV.

the proposed errata would be to replace the example with the following:

   For example, if a certificate is requested for X.Y.Z the issuer will
   search for the relevant CAA record set in the following order:

      X.Y.Z

      Alias (X.Y.Z)

      Y.Z

      Alias (Y.Z)

      Alias (Z)

      Return Empty

   Note that evaluation of an alias is recursive. If Alias (X.Y.Z) = P.Q.R,
   The evaluation of Alias (X.Y.Z) will consist of

      P.Q.R

      Alias (P.Q.R)

      P.Q

      etc.

   Processors SHOULD limit the number of redirections that will be processed
   to prevent redirection loops or excessive numbers of redirects causing
   resource exhaustion.