[cabfpub] Ballot 185 - Next steps

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Feb 23 21:57:31 MST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Peter Bowen <pzb at amzn.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 23, 2017, at 6:39 PM, Ryan Sleevi via Public <public at cabforum.org>
> wrote:
> > My hope is that, now having a concrete Ballot behind us, and an upcoming
> meeting, we can use this opportunity to focus on the concrete concerns
> raised, to recognize our opportunities to gather and share data in advance
> of those discussions, to find commonality in our perspectives now that we
> have a clearer picture of where people are approaching from, avoid
> ratholing ourselves onto concerns that weren't raised as part of this
> process, and hopefully, ideally, acknowledge the unacceptability of the
> status quo, and the urgent need for a plan forward.
> >
> > Given our own deep concerns about the CA ecosystem's current practices,
> I anticipate Chrome will need to finalize our plans soon. My ideal outcome
> is that we can use this time leading up to and during our meeting to
> explore opportunities to reach an industry consensus, so that we can take
> this step forward towards a more secure Internet together.
> >
> > For DigiCert, Entrust, Izenpe, Quovadis, Actalis, Symantec, Trustwave,
> CFCA, GDCA, and Apple - I'm not sure we will be able to find consensus at
> 27 months, unfortunately. Ultimately, the acceptable validity period of a
> certificate that a browser accepts defines its commitment to the Web
> Platform that we will make every effort to avoid disrupting site operators
> and users. In doing so, we browsers take on the liability that results from
> CA misissuance, in that it becomes necessary for browsers to address issues
> of CA incompetence, malice, and apathy in a way to minimize disruption to
> our users while ensuring their security. Similarly, it represents how long
> the browser views the data and methods used to be acceptable and
> trustworthy relative to the security goals and requirements of the
> browsers. While I appreciate the feedback, I suspect this is a point of
> irreconcilable difference - 27 months represents a fundamentally
> unacceptably long time, particularly given the risks the ecosystem faces
> and the changes the ecosystem needs to cope with the continual violations
> of the Baseline Requirements.
>
> Ryan,
>
> I’m not sure I follow this last paragraph.  I’m afraid that there might be
> a couple of run-on sentences in there that may things a little confusing.
>
> I think you said:
>
> Browser vendors (at least Chrome) are trying to make a commitment that a
> certificate that works on its issuance date will work until it expires.
> This commitment is true regardless of changes in the standards for issuance
> of certificates.  Put another way, from your perspective, the only
> acceptable method to roll out changes is by making the change effective for
> all certificates issued after date X.  Invalidating existing certificates
> is something that should only happen in the absolutely most extreme case.

> [...]

I should have you review all my mails before I sent them. Yes, this is
exactly the set of concerns I (poorly) tried to capture and why 13 months
is a critical requirement.

Note that 3 1/4 years represent the floor, meaning it's the minimum, not
the maximum. This is why, historically, Chrome has pushed for very
aggressive timelines - because we're always at a 3 1/4 year penalty out of
the gate, so phasing something in over 1 1/2 to 2 years can easily mean it
ends up taking 5 or more years to actually address security issues. As we
reduce that base time, we have much more flexibility on how to phase in
raising the bar.