[cabfpub] Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Feb 13 13:39:47 MST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Scott Rea <scott at scottrea.com> wrote:

> Just a process question Ryan, trying to understand how the CAB processes
> work...
>
> I understand that minor changes are at the discretion of ballot
> producers and endorsers, and you have posted an update to this ballot
> under that pretext - my question is just about how the "minor"
> designation is arrived at by the producers and endorsers.
>
> You indicated that there was "...general agreement that postponing the
> effective date represents a 'minor' change", but I only saw Gerv's post
> and then you made the change. So my question is about how that "general
> agreement" process itself works? If the general agreeing happened on
> list between a number of community members, then perhaps I am not seeing
> the full list digest. Or did you mean the general agreeing (on the
> designation that this was minor) was just you and Gerv and happened
> offlist?
>
> To be clear, I have no issue with the changes for this ballot, just
> trying to understand in a general sense for future ballots how this
> minor designation process works.
>
> Regards,
> _Scott

As Dean captured in
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2017-February/009621.html , and as
previously discussed in
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2017-January/009276.html , it seems
there's consensus that there's nothing preventing modifications, but
there's also no formal specification for any of this.