[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Mon Feb 6 04:40:12 MST 2017

Is there anyone who believes that _expiration_ currently "works"?

When a typical browser encounters an expired server certificate, it
shows a warning that the user can click through.  The user is only
advised to avoid harm.  I wonder how many users don't heed that advice?

However, when a typical browser encounters a server certificate that it
knows to be revoked, it shows a warning that the user *cannot* click
through.  The user is *forced* to avoid harm.

What's stopping browsers from treating expired certs in the same way
that they treat known revoked certs?

(FWIW, I've made this point before:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/T11up58JkFc/uMNrXQsIzf0J)

--