[cabfpub] Durations

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sun Feb 5 13:51:21 MST 2017

On 05/02/17 20:32, Kirk Hall wrote:
> Gerv - can't machines be programmed to notice that April 18, 2017 is
> 13 months after March 18, 2016?

Yes, they can, most easily by subtracting one date from the other,
getting a number of days, and comparing that to a number of days
representing "13 months". All this proposal is, is to set that figure to
a figure which is at least 13 months in all possible scenarios, i.e. 398.

> It seems easy to do that, and much
> easier for humans to evaluate than 398 days.

Like I said, specify it as "398 days (just over 13 months)". There is
then a human way and a computer way of evaluating it, and everyone's happy.

But anyway, how it's specified will be up to the motion drafter, and we
can bikeshed it then.