[cabfpub] Pre-ballot: Ballot discussion ends when discussion ends, and not before

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Dec 5 19:41:16 UTC 2017

Now that I have a bit more time, I'd like to propose a ballot that we
discussed with Gerv after the recent CAA voting snafu.  The current bylaws
require the proposer to predict in advance how long the discussion period
will be.  We've had a few cases where we've had to choose between
withdrawing a ballot and starting over (with a week delay .) and going
forward with an imperfect ballot.  We should have the time and flexibility
to get ballot right, even if a flaw is noticed late in the discussion
period.  I included Gerv's proposal to sunset abandoned ballots.

While I was modifying the voting rules, I decided to make it clear that the
ballot can be modified in response to concerns identified during the
discussion period.  We've always operated that way, so I thought I'd make it
clear in the bylaws.

The change is in github here:

https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/master...timfromdigicert:patch
-1

-(c) A representative of any Member can call for a proposed ballot to be
published for discussion and comment by the membership. Any proposed ballot
needs two endorsements by other Members in order to proceed. The discussion
period then shall take place for at least seven but no more than 14 calendar
days before votes are cast. The proposer of the ballot will designate the
length of the discussion period, and each ballot shall clearly state the
start and end dates and times (including time zone) for both the discussion
period and the voting period.

+(c) A representative of any Member can call for a proposed ballot to be
published for discussion and comment by the membership. Any proposed ballot
needs two endorsements by other Members in order to proceed. The discussion
period then shall take place for at least seven calendar days. After seven
days, wheneverr the proposer feels the ballot is ready for voting, he shall
repost the ballot, incorporating any changes based on feedback from the
discussion period. However, if 30 days elapse from the beginning of the
discussion period without voting having started, the ballot will be
considered withdrawn. The ballot shall clearly state the start and end dates
and times (including time zone) for the voting period.

Comments?  Endorsers?

-Tim