[cabfpub] Need two endorsers for Ballot 211 - Resolution of Approval for WTCA v2.1 Changes

Tim Hollebeek THollebeek at trustwave.com
Fri Aug 4 14:04:47 UTC 2017

I have spent literally weeks of my life listening to and participating in discussions about the subtleties of transportation of key fragments by different carriers, at different times, signed for by different people, etc etc etc and there are tons of landmines in that area.  In addition to the one Doug mentioned, sending them at different times does not guarantee they arrive at different times; they are likely to end up alone in a mailroom under one person's control.  There is also no requirement of any labeling, identification, or authentication of the fragments, to prevent me from substituting a non-tampered fragment of my choice for the original fragment.

As another example, "physically secure site" in 4.5.2 is operationally meaningless without a definition or requirements.  I'm sitting in my office right now and I'm feeling pretty physically secure.  Can I destroy keys here?  Who knows.  This is another point where entire standards have been written on the subject (ISO 13491 Annex H).  We have no requirements AT ALL for physical security for locations where CA operations are being performed (something that should be fixed).  It seems odd to have vague lip service to physical security around key destruction when we have no requirements for it for key use.

The entire subject of secure key transport is exceptionally complicated, and entire sections of other standards documents have pages and pages of requirements to address it (see, for example, X9.24 part 1).  I'm not sure it's a good idea to have an explicit list of illustrative controls that as far as I can see do not map back to any explicit minimum requirements in the BRs.  Especially since arbitrarily picking and choosing from the illustrative controls is extremely unlikely to produce a process that has the desired security properties.

The entire document reads like an attempt to provide requirements that are missing from the BRs, and I don't think that's a good strategy for filling the holes where the BRs unfortunately are silent.  I've opined before that the BRs are unfortunately quite inadequate in providing a reasonable set of minimum requirements to assure that CA systems and keys are reasonably protected throughout their lifecycle.  I personally think that is something that should be addressed as part of the replacement of the Network Security Guidelines by the new working group, rather than an effort like this.  I see this document as more of a useful contribution towards that effort.  The BRs really should address appropriate minimum security requirements for CAs, not just the minutiae of what is or is not allowed in a particular certificate.

That said, I get the motivation.  What we currently have is nothing.  Is this "something" better than our current "nothing"?  Or are we better off being silent and encouraging CAs to consult existing industry best standards and other standards documents?  It's not clear.

-Tim