[cabfpub] [Ext] Ballot 202 - Underscore and Wildcard Characters

Erwann Abalea Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com
Tue Aug 1 18:50:51 UTC 2017

Bonsoir,

I personally think the new definition is clear and unambiguous; a label is composed of arbitrary octets, and can even be empty (which is the case for the root). But for the new definition to fit our purpose, we may need to also include a mention to the « Global DNS » (a new addition in 7719bis), which clarifies the label lengths, global length, common root, and other things.

One question for Paul: at Global DNS/Composition of names, it is said that a domain name has a max length of 255 octets in wire format, and the root represents one octet. Does that octet account for the leading dot, or in addition to the leading dot? In other words, should an FQDN expressed in a SAN:dNSName be limited to 254 octets, or 253 octets?

Cordialement,
Erwann Abalea