[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot 190 - Recording BR Version Number

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Aug 1 16:05:42 UTC 2017

On 01/08/17 17:00, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Are we talking about what the CA records in its database for the  validation
> method used, or are we talking about annotating the BRs with a record of
> when a change was made?

I am raising the problem that if there is a list of changes made and it
goes out of sync with reality, then what do I, at Mozilla, do if a CA
says "well, I didn't realise that change had been made because it wasn't
added to the official list"?

There should be one and exactly one method of knowing when changes are made.

Earlier, although perhaps not in this thread, someone suggested
independent version numbers for each of the methods. That has a similar
issue - there should be one and exactly one method of recording what
validation method was used.