[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] Ballot 212: Canonicalise formal name of the Baseline Requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Aug 21 11:16:06 MST 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Should we have SSL or TLS in the name of the document since this does not
> apply to “All” publicly trusted certificates?
>

> 'The Baseline Requirements for the Issuance and Management of
> Publicly-Trusted *SSL* Certificates'

 So, we haven't called it that (yet), so that'd be renaming it, rather than
simply granting the editorial flexibility to correct the name and/or
inconsistency that has emerged in other documents. We already renamed it
once (Baseline Requirements Certificate Policy) in 1.3.0, except that name
didn't fully reflect what was in, and of course, caused a further
promulgation of inconsistencies.

Section 1.1 states "The CP for the Issuance and Management of
Publicly‐Trusted Certificates describe a subset of the
requirements that a Certification Authority must meet in order to issue
Publicly Trusted Certificates" and "These Requirements only address
Certificates intended to be used for authenticating servers accessible
through the Internet. Similar requirements for code signing, S/MIME,
time‐stamping, VoIP, IM, Web services,
etc. may be covered in future versions. "

That said, we could also haggle over SSL, TLS, or SSL/TLS - and then haggle
what constitutes an SSL certificate - is it having an EKU? a KU? a SAN of
time dNSName or iPAddress?

These are all good questions to ask, but hopefully we can afford a little
flexibility to just correct the documents to align on consistency, and then
explore further renaming with the assurance that "someone" (the editor or
maintainer) can have the flexibility to correct any issues that come up