[cabfpub] Two CAA questions

Phillip philliph at comodo.com
Fri Aug 18 09:42:28 MST 2017

One of the main things that CAs do as part of their business is precisely helping the customer configure their server to use the product. This is only one of dozens of misconfiguration issues that arise.

DNSSEC is complex enough in itself. One of the side effects of DNSSEC is that it will make any and all misconfigurations in your existing DNS apparent. It is the DNS equivalent of a ‘lights out’ data center. This is one of the reasons why positioning DANE to compete with the WebPKI was an own goal. The parties that might have assisted in the deployment of DNSSEC and helped customers work through the deployment were intentionally locked out.

So where the CABForum documents say ‘must not issue’, what this actually means in practice is ‘must not issue until the CA has helped the customer get their act in gear’.