[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot 190

Jos Purvis (jopurvis) jopurvis at cisco.com
Fri Apr 28 17:52:14 UTC 2017

A question, if I might: I’m not understanding the “massive revalidation of all existing domains” part here. My understanding is that if we alter the methods of validation, you would need to ensure that any applicants from that date forward are validated under acceptable methods, which may mean searching your database of validated domains and marking some as requiring revalidation, but that shouldn’t require you to immediately revalidate them unless they’re applying for a certificate…or should it?

That is, if I’ve previously validated “www.example.com” but using a now-unacceptable method, do I immediately need to revalidate “example.com” the day the ballot takes effect (and revoke its certs if the validation fails?), or do I merely need to ensure that when “[x].example.com” presents a new certificate application after the ballot takes effect, I re-validate them using acceptable methods?

As a follow-up, let’s assume that yes, I do need to immediately revalidate all domain information obtained using non-conforming methods, even without a new certificate request in hand. Even assuming that, I don’t have to re-validate anything that conformed prior to the ballot, right? So we’re talking about finding certificates that are currently valid but were validated using non-conforming methods, which should mean a search of issuance records to identify now-invalid information and either marking it for re-validation in the future or just biting the bullet and re-validating it right away.

Just trying to unpack the scope of the problem here a bit.

--

Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)

.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services

PGP: 0xFD802FEE07D19105  | +1 919.991.9114 (desk)