[cabfpub] Question around I&A information caching

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Apr 21 16:26:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Alex Wight (awight) via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   Please forgive me if this question is a bit naïve and perhaps something
> I should know already; Am I correct in assuming the following scenario is
> valid under the current BRs?
>

> 1.     Day 1 - CA gathers Identification and Authentication (I&A)
> information for a particular subscriber
>
> 2.     Day 1 - CA issues a certificate valid for 825 days
>
> 3.     824 days later - CA issues a new certificate valid for 825 days
> using the I&A data cached from day 1
>
> 4.     …rinse, repeat.
>

>   In short, we can certify ownership of a domain for 1649 days (over 4 and
> a half years) based on a single I&A verification event performed on Day 1,
> correct?

Now you understand our concerns regarding that reuse, and our desire to see
Ballot 190 (and Ballot 186) address these concerns more meaningfully to the
information they're attesting to, based on the risk and frequency of change.

Under the current BRs (1.4.2), Section 4.2.1 permits it for thirty-nine
months. If we take the most absolutely liberal interpretation (which is
difficult to justify, but easy to compute), of 39 months meaning 31-day
months, for a total of 1209 days, then it means a CA only needs to validate
an Applicant controls a domain once every 2,417 days.

Assuming 1.4.4 successfully is adopted, that will reduce to one DNS
validation performed every 1,649 days.

We should aim to see that number, for domain validations, reduced to (max
lifetime of cert), at worst.

Note that in theory, the Subscriber is contractually obligated to inform
the CA when they lose the right to use the domain name. In doing so, this
absolves the CA of the responsibility to ensure the information they've
certified is correct, because it is the Subscriber that has failed to
follow the TOU, not the CA's fault. This comes from Sections 9.6.1(1),
9.6.3(1), and 9.6.3(5).