[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot 199 - Require commonName in Root and Intermediate Certificates

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Apr 26 18:17:36 UTC 2017

Our software does not support change the identity of a CA when you issue it a new certificate. I assume that this is similar issuing passports. When an individual gets a passport they put their identity in the passport, when they renew their passport, they use the same identity.

We do use CNs for subordinate CAs and the CNs are unique per CA. We do not use unique CNs per CA certificate.

Please also note that the unique CN is also for a unique private key.

Bruce.