[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot 199 - Require commonName in Root and Intermediate Certificates

Brown, Wendy (10421) wendy.brown at protiviti.com
Wed Apr 26 11:48:56 MST 2017

I know we are not talking cross-certificates here, but if you were, sometimes a cross-certificate is issued for a time period less than the subject CA’s private key usage so certificates subordinate to the intermediate CA may actually have a lifetime longer than one cert issued to it, even though the subscriber certs do expire before the intermediate CA’s expiration..

I’m wondering about the use case where a new Root while applying to various trust stores asks for a cross-certificate from someone already trusted while its application is being processed.  If the process takes longer than anticipated, they may ask for a second cross-cert from the trusted root to carry them through the extended period.

Another example might be an update to accommodate changes  in name constraints or policies allowed for the subordinate CA.  Maybe a customer enterprise has been bought or merged and rather than needing to establish a new CA they want to continue using the same CA but allow it to issue to the new name of the customer.