[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot 190: Domain Validation

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Apr 13 13:45:31 MST 2017

Your analysis below is not correct.   The “law” in the CA/Browser Forum is what is approved by the members in a Ballot (all of it – in Ballot 190, that includes both Section 1 and Section 2 – both sections have equal validity and applicability because both were adopted by the members at the same time.)

In contrast, the BRs are just a compilation of those portions of prior adopted Ballots that have long-term applicability to members.  It’s a mistake to junk up the BRs with lots of effective dates and transition rule that will expire, and it’s unnecessary.  Again, the adopted ballots of the Forum are the “law” – all sections of the ballots equally – and not the BR compilations themselves.  I think Google’s Legal Department will agree.

See the following concerning codification of US laws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Statutes_at_Large

*** Codification

Today, large portions of slip laws [for the Forum, our Ballots once they have been approved by the members] denominated as public laws are now drafted as amendments to the United States Code [for the Forum, the BRs and EVGL]. Once enacted into law, an Act will be published in the Statutes at Large [for the Forum, an updated version of the BRs or EVGL will be published] and will add to, modify, or delete some part of the United States Code [the BRs or EVGL]. Provisions of a public law [Ballot] that contains only enacting clauses, effective dates, and similar matters are not generally codified [i.e., those portions of a Forum Ballot such as Ballot 190, Section 2, would not be included in the BRs, but would still be valid and controlling]. ***

We could put ballot transition rules in BRs themselves (for Ballot 190, move from Section 2 to Section 1 and make part of BR 3.2.2.4), but I would rather not – then the transition rules are no longer relevant (because they are time-based and will expire), they have to be pulled out again by a later ballot – not useful.  The transition rules will exist in Section 2 of the adopted Ballot 190 itself, and that is sufficient.

Another option is to add transition rules like Ballot 190, Section 2 to the BRs as “Notes” to BR 3.2.2.4 that are not part of BR 3.2.2.4, and that can later be removed by the BRs compiler without a further ballot once the transition rules are no longer relevant (because all validation data from before the effective date of Ballot 190 will have expired).  That’s what some legislatures do, and I wouldn’t object to that.