[cabfpub] RFC5280-related Ballot - For Discussion

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Apr 13 10:08:21 MST 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Ben Wilson via Public <public at cabforum.org
> wrote:

> I can do that for the longer names, but that takes time to implement and
> then for support in browsers to  develop.  I’ll look at our CABF OID tree
> and figure out how to  branch out an OID arc for these two (commonName and
> organizationName).

For what it's worth, we have no plans to support such newly-defined OIDs
within our Certificate Processing code (and have recently begun deprecating
support for commonName). It is correct that if CAs wish to use a longer
organizationName, creating a new Attribute OID with a defined value without
such an upper-bound is appropriate. However, as we do not afford special UI
treatment to organizationally-validated certificates, nor do we have plans
to do so, it would not be part of our development roadmap to afford any
special treatment to this UI.