[cabfpub] Checking CAA oneself

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Sep 22 21:02:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Erwann Abalea <Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com>
wrote:

> We also need more support from DNS servers.

I think we'll constantly be in this chicken-and-egg problem until the CA/B
Forum takes action.

Customers don't receive value in CAA until (all) CAs are obligated to check
& respect it. However, if we get there, it becomes a vital and valuable
security feature.

> For my domains, I host everything on the « Cloud », and register my domain
> names on Gandi, who is also my DNS service, with a nice web UI.
> I wanted to add a CAA record for testing, but Gandi doesn’t support that.
> Amazon Route 53 doesn’t either. I looked for some documentation about
> Cloudflare DNS, dyn.com Managed DNS, GoDaddy, Microsoft Azure, EasyDNS,
> none of them seem to support CAA.

That's unfortunate, but luckily we've got members in both Microsoft and
GoDaddy who might be able to poke their product teams, and we know
CloudFlare is generally responsive to security feature improvements.

> The only positive finding is that Google Cloud DNS supports CAA records
> with an easy to use UI.

I'll be sure to pass this on to the team that implemented this =)

> The fact that we still have to use « -t TYPE257 » on dig or host command
> or the equivalent « set type=TYPE257 » on nslookup to manually perform this
> query is not encouraging.

Encouraging in what sense? There's naturally an ecosystem issue, but the
need to use -t TYPE257 on older versions of dig/host doesn't preclude you
from taking advantage of the security benefits, if CAs were willing or
required to respect it.