[cabfpub] Questions regarding timestamping certificates

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Sun Sep 11 05:57:33 UTC 2016

On 9/9/2016 10:13 πμ, Inigo Barreira wrote:

> In the ETSI standards this has been “divided” to distinguish between a
> certificate and a timestamp token and/or unit, considering them
> “differently” (in fact there are different standards for each, 411-x
> is for issuing certificates and 421 is for timestamping policies).
>
> Basically the CABF docs are for issuing SSL certs with additional
> “features” that affect the whole ecosystem, but always based on this
> type of certificates. There´s also the code signing which is not of
> “such” importance because of the numbers and platforms in which the
> TSA is mentioned.
>
> So, if we´re reforming the fórum, there are some standards out there
> to be used, … instead of updating/modifying the BRs or EVGs, I´d
> rather go for an independent document, like in ETSI, in where all the
> matters related to timestamping be addressed in one document and not
> surfing or digging in many of them. IMHO, I´d be easier to mantain,
> address, make Standards bodies life easier, etc. But the issue will
> remain if some software vendors still request it and TSPs will be
> “forced” to do so in order to have their services “recognized” in that
> software, though maybe is a matter of time
>
> Regards

I proposed to update/modify the BRs because -as I clearly stated- it
involves Root Certificates that also down the chain issue SSL
Certificates. So, I believe we should try to eliminate this "open to
interpretations" clause and either allow or explicitly deny the direct
issuance of a timestamping end-entity certificate from a Root.

I'd like to discuss this on the next call and see if there is interest
to draft a ballot. In case it is decided that it should not be allowed,
I am sure there would be a fairly proper effective date for CAs to comply.

Best regards,
Dimitris.