[cabfpub] CNAME-based validation

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Wed Sep 7 00:07:03 UTC 2016

Hi Ryan,

Pardon my DNS ignorance, but how does the server know which CNAME record to use in this case? If shop.domain.com CNAMEs to digicert.com and *.domain.com CNAMEs to google.com, then how do you know which will resolve? There isn’t a weight/ordering preference for CNAME like there is TXT records.

As for how to resolve this, what if the CA generated two random numbers, holding one of the numbers in reserve. Immediately after verifying that <rnd1>.domain.com CNAME points to a validated domain, the CA can then check <rnd2>.domain.com to see if it resolves. If it resolves successfully, a wildcard DNS is in place and the domain is not validated. If the domain does not resolve, a wildcard DNS is not present and the domain is considered validated. Does this resolve your concern?

Jeremy