[cabfpub] CNAME-based validation

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Sep 2 22:04:54 UTC 2016

Jeremy,

Perhaps it wasn't clear, I wasn't speaking of wildcard certificates, but
wildcard DNS rules, in which all requests for a given subdomain return a
preconfigured record type. While for TXT and CAA records this is quite
uncommon, it's exceedingly common to have CNAME records.

That is, both <rnd>.example.com and sleevi.example.com may both CNAME to
example.com, by virtue of of the host putting a rule of "*.example.com 3600
CNAME example.com"

I am attempting to assert that placing the <rnd> in the subdomain is
insufficient proof of authorization, and is meaningfully and tangibly
different than the proof of control demonstrated in 3.2.2.4.7.

As I read your wording, it suggests the following:
CA looks up <rnd>.example.com
<rnd>.example.com points to example.com
CA sees it previously issued a certificate for example.com using one of the
other methods
CA issues certificate for <rnd>.example.com

That concerns me.

Peter's rewording suggests the inverse:
CA looks up _certvalidation.example.com
_certvalidation.example.com points (CNAMEs) to
<rnd>.validation.[nameofca].com
CA issues certificate for example.com

This is much less concerning.

Could you help clarify which you intend, and for what names/purposes?