[cabfpub] Continuing the discussion on CAA

Phillip Hallam-Baker philliph at comodo.com
Fri Sep 9 07:58:04 MST 2016

I concur with a few quibbles.

Given the use of DNS for domain validation, an attacker who can successfully spoof DNS can apply for a cert from the authorized CA. The ability to get a bogus cert from the CA of their choice does increase the attack surface but not by a huge amount.

DNSSEC may improve things or it may not. If DNSSEC is in place then it can be used to lock down DV as well as CAA. But that doth not necessarily make the system secure. The security of DNSSEC depends on the security of DNS registrars and it is not clear that these people understand the issues.

[Right now, my private Web sites are all off line because the hosting provider has made an unauthorized change to the config and done so incompetently.]

I have maintained from the start that CAs can choose to implement strict CAA checking now or wait until it becomes a requirement. Unless of course you happen to be the CA that is the cause of CAA becoming a mandatory requirement in which case you might not have any need to implement anything ever at all.