[cabfpub] Questions regarding timestamping certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Sep 8 10:55:34 MST 2016

Dimitris,

Thanks for raising this. I'd be especially curious to get Jody's take, and
I'd suggest you see if https://aka.ms/rootcert has anything to say on this
matter.

As it stands, I'm loathe to suggest that it would be acceptable, simply
because of EKU, to suggest that direct root issuance is safe or acceptable.
As you know, the sub-CA approach ensures a proper risk-limiting scope; that
is, we want to ensure the sub-CA is created "safely", and thus not have to
worry about anything that the sub-CA itself signs.

Ultimately, it's about risk management. Let's assume we said that the mere
presence of the id-kp-timeStamping EKU was sufficient to make the "EE
issued by Root" safe, and thus out of scope of the BRs. Would it be
acceptable for that Root to sign the EE with SHA-1, since it's Out of
Scope? Obviously, no - as the risk with SHA-1 would be an attacker could
collide with an attacker-controlled cert that wasn't id-kp-timeStamping
limited. However, if it was an id-kp-timeStamping sub-CA, then that sub-CA
could issue however many certificates were desired, and the risk of any
SHA-1 collisions under that sub-CA would be limited to affecting the
timestamping services, thus minimizing the risk to most (but not all)
browser vendors.

Similarly, if we accept that it was sufficient, we'd run the risk that the
Root's CRL could potentially grow. That is, imagine the impact to clients
if there was 1 TLS sub-CA, and 100,000 id-kp-whatever EE certs, and the
100,000 certs needed to be revoked. TLS clients wanting to check if the
sub-CA was revoked would also need to download the CRL with the 100,000
other revocations, potentially impacting performance.

We unquestionably know that the root itself needs to comply with the BRs,
and so I believe the MUST NOT absolutely applies, regardless of what you're
signing. If you issue a sub-CA with id-kp-timestamping from this root, then
the goal is that the sub-CA's profile fits the acceptable set (of what the
Root is allowed to sign; in particular, the choice of algorithm), the
Root's CRL matches the CRL policies, but that the sub-CA itself is not
bound by the BRs in what it issues or how it operates.

I agree, this is not entirely obvious from the BRs, and is the
long-standing scope issue (both of the BRs and the Forum), and hopefully,
as we work towards resolving the Forum structure some, we can revise the
BRs as necessary to make it clearer the scope of common matters, and what
elements are out of scope.

In this regard, I appreciate the structured approach that ETSI has taken,
in that it makes a clearer distinction between policies and profiles. We
want the Root to have a known set of policies, and issue certificates with
a bounded set of profiles. However, some subordinate certificates may
follow one set of policies (and issue with one set of profiles), while
another subordinate certificate may follow a different set of policies and
profiles. That is, we could assume the Root has a uniform set of Policies
(that are the minimum safety net for the *union* of all subrodinates; aka
the most restrictive policy wins), while Subordinates may only have to
comply with one set of policies (such as TLS or code signing), if the risk
is constrained to a specific set of profiles (such as id-kp-serverAuth vs
id-kp-codeSigning)

Does that help offer a 'vendor' perspective?