[cabfpub] CNAME-based validation

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Sep 2 16:11:48 MST 2016

Right, and I'm not sure that (2) sufficiently establishes that example.com
is authorizing the request, given wildcards.

I think this would be a similar concern with, say, following HTTP open
redirects and saying a "200 OK" code authorizes the request - wellllll, not
really.

I'm curious if you could expand more why you believe other methods would
permit a cert to be issued in the presence of this Wildcard DNS.

As a concrete example:
example.com A [my host]
*.example.com CNAME example.net
shop.example.com CNAME paymentprovider.example.org

Under this scenario, could you explain what ways that the [<rnd>.example.com]
would be able to issue a cert for either example.com or shop.example.com ?
Perhaps I'm just missing the implications of the existing validation
methods.