[cabfpub] CNAME-based validation

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Fri Sep 2 14:52:49 MST 2016

Wildcard domains are already allowed. We can verify Wildcard DNS because a CNAME for *.domain.com is pointing to a record previously verified. This verification method is permitted under the definition of Authorization Domain Name (where the FQDN returned by a CNAME lookup can be used to verify the requested FQDN). Although <rnd>.domain.com isn’t necessarily distinguishable from *.domain.com, the validation ends up being the same because either its considered an Authorized Domain Name (under the definition) or it was validated as a random value in this new method.

For example:

*.domain.com -> dcv.example.com (validated under the Authorized Domain Name section)

<rnd>.domain.com ->validation.example.com (validated under this new section)

Because each is validated properly, tracking which exact section was used in the validation isn’t necessary.

Jeremy