[cabfpub] Continuing the discussion on CAA

Eneli Kirme Eneli.Kirme at sk.ee
Mon Oct 24 11:08:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Although we appreciate your concerns on protecting users from incapable CA-s, we’d like to point out that we as a small CA, fear a side-effect of it being an instrument for market manipulation.

Most of the concerns brought up here so far have been about corporations where there’s different admins for DNS, certificates, web content and whether this would create any trouble to them or risk to users.

But consider this scenario: a hypothetical CoolCA approaching a DNS service provider, be it an ISP, domain registrar or some kind of hosting provider, with a proposal to include a CAA record pointing to the CoolCA into their default configuration. Falling to it means that lots of small customers, who just want to set up a homepage or e-mail and who might not (yet) know anything about certificates, all of a sudden get a preferred choice of a CA. This cannot be considered an incorrect configuration, but nevertheless our first step with potential customers in a hard-fail scenario would then be to ask them to go to the DNS provider and request changing the CAA from our competitor to us and only then come back. This is definitely extra hassle to her, it might also be extra cost to her and it is us promoting our competitor.

Best regards,

Eneli Kirme
AS Sertifitseerimiskeskus (SK)