[cabfpub] Allowing SHA-1 OCSP and CRL signatures past 2016

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Wed Oct 26 11:39:06 MST 2016

“  - If we say "No, not until it's been affirmed by a Ballot", but do not wait until the completion of the Review Period, then its possible that auditors will incorporate IP-encumbered requirements within their audit criteria, and any CA that fails to license such technology may be at risk of receiving a qualified audit.“

This is already true.  Right now, under Virginia’s interpretation, absolutely nothing in the BRs/EV guidelines is final since adoption of the IPR because we have never had a PAG meet despite receiving exclusion notices. We’re already in the weird limbo state with respect to everything. We have no idea whether material covered by IP has been introduced into the guidelines because the IPR didn’t require that the IP holder identify which section was affected. We did during the last ballot, but this was limited in scope to the methods proposed in 169.